Apple and Mac 68k Forum Forum Index Apple and Mac 68k Forum
...at myoldmac.net - since January, 24. 2005

Home    FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
Mac SE "cracking kit"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apple and Mac 68k Forum Forum Index -> 68K Mac - E
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrZarkov

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Mac SE "cracking kit"? Reply with quote

I've heard there was a "Mac SE cracking kit". Actually the most important thing I need is the screw driver for the torx-screws in the handle. I have of course several torx-screw-drivers which I use for Powerbooks and other Macs, but a screw driver with such a long handle is simply not to find in a normal shop. Any ideas how to get it? I have to change a hd and to clean the ventilator, my SE makes noise like a helicopter!

PS: Any idea, why I can't write in the german section? Is it a fault of the Internet Exploder which I'm forced to use here at work?
MacOS
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear DrZakov

I check that problem with the german forum.

You don¥t need a "Cracking Kit" for the Mac SE seria (it¥s a Saga ? I never saw one) - but the looooong screw driver. The case is fixed at the rear with two screws near the base and two more tucked away in the carry-handle recess. You need a long 3/32" allen (hex) wrench, or a Torx T-15 driver, to undo them. The tricky bit is the length of the shaft needed to get to the screws in the handle.

Alternatively, try to find a screwdriver/bit set that has both a long shank and an extension, or an extension and very long bits. Auto parts shops may have them. You can also buy the extension bits separately. You could even try putting a Torx bit into the plastic sleeve from a "Bic" pen.

Before working inside the Macintosh, turn off the power for a few hours and disconnect the AC power cord. The SE contains high voltage (1,500 Volts), a high-vacuum cathode ray tube (CRT) and sensitive electronic parts. Voltages at the back of the monitor tube really can give you a nasty shock. Also, it is easy to break the monitor yoke in this and other compact Macs. Cracking the fragile nipple-end of the CRT can cause the vacuum tube to implode, sending glass shards everywhere. And getting a new monitor for compact Macs can be a pain.

Here is a good adress that describes how to open a MacSE/30 (or SE) safely:

Freak http://www.biwa.ne.jp/%7Eshamada/fullmac/repairEng.html

And here is an exploided view of the Macintosh SE from the Technical Sources:

DrZarkov

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for an SCSI-adaptor for my portable i found this:

http://www.micromac.com/products/macopener.html

But first I will look in common shops in Germany if any T 15 torx is long and small enough...
Moebius

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "easy" solution: Do it in a "third world" way, look for a single Torx T15 end (those interchangeable would do) and simply weld it at the end of a long and thin enough bar, then fix a handle on the other side and you are ready to work!

Regards! Cool
DrZarkov

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "third world" way does not seem to be the worst way, but we would call it the "GDR-way" Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apple and Mac 68k Forum Forum Index -> 68K Mac - E All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: