Apple and Mac 68k Forum Forum Index Apple and Mac 68k Forum
...at myoldmac.net - since January, 24. 2005

Home    FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
APPLE MAC PLUS - NO OS - what can I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apple and Mac 68k Forum Forum Index -> 68K Mac - E
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacOS
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dinbot, bad news. Should i send them again ? No big deal. Yust let me know and I make another copy if that helps.
Dinobot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Dinbot, bad news. Should i send them again ? No big deal. Yust let me know and I make another copy if that helps.

O. yeah... I'm very sorry about why I did not get the first package you sent me yet... Probably, it's lost. It's pitty, but people says sometimes it happens.

Right after I'll get a set of floppies, I will mail you back some present from Russia. Also, I'm going to take some pictures of my Mac Plus and post them here today. guys =)

Oliver, lets double check my address:

Quote:
Danil Akhmetov
13A Zheleznodorozhnaya str. Apt 516
Ulyanovsk
Russian Federation
Raidersan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Oliver,

I am happy to pick up the flag and help Dinobot with this one, hopefully Dinobot will do the same later and we'll end up with lots of people helping others.

If you can confirm this is OK, I will make disks for Dinobot as soon as I get yours.
Dinobot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sup guys.

I got a diskettes Oliver sent, but my Mac don't wanna boot with them... It drops them back.

What else can I try?

Video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpLPGZClJdA
MacOS
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, fine the second set of disks is working Smile. Regarding your mail:

Quote:
Do I always need to
terminate my scsi right after hard drive? Can I just try to get small
50pin scsi drive and install a system from floppies you gave me?

I don't know what reason It shows me co-processor warning when I'm
booting system tools disk. I can boot from Utiliities disk and just
start an installer from system disk. It starts!

Now I just can't to detect my SCSI hard drive... An original Rodime is
definally dead, 30gb scsi is too big...

You need to Terminate the SCSI row on a MacPlus with an ACTIVE SCSI Terminator (often have a LED on it).

Try to find a very small SCSI drive (under 1 GB) with 50 pin port. This could eventually work on the Macintosh Plus. But it also depends on the technic inside your SCSI external case, not all cases are suitable to boot a Macintosh Plus.

I do not know what happend to the Tools Disk, you get a problem when installing the System when it comes to this diskette. Maybe its not used directly in the installing process, I am not sure. Have a try.

If you still have problems, an external SCUZZY Drive is waiting here to get your Mac back to life. Just drop me a note.
Dinobot

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Now I got 1gb 50pin SCSI HD (not apple, HP, I mean 3rd party brand), scsi centronics terminator, pc scsi controller (as usual) and same problem again!

A problem is I can not see my scsi HD with my Plus. SCSI bus is terminated with external terminator, hard drive is formatted HFS with pc tool, floppy disk Oliver sent me boots as well, but I can not see my hard drive to install OS.

Spin stars, light blinks, floppy boots... How can I make sure my hard drive is set correctly? How can I install (or just copy and boot) an operating system?
Dinobot

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it any way to mount my HD after I boot floppy?
MacOS
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned earlyer "not all cases are suitable to boot a Macintosh Plus."
Normaly the HD should mount after the disk system has been booted. May you need to use an SCSI mounter application because of a different SCSI version on your HD (younger as the SCSI system in the Mac).
Dinobot

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacOS wrote:
I mentioned earlyer "not all cases are suitable to boot a Macintosh Plus."
Normaly the HD should mount after the disk system has been booted. May you need to use an SCSI mounter application because of a different SCSI version on your HD (younger as the SCSI system in the Mac).

Can I run scsi mounter with floppies you mailed me?

I have no way to put a program on 800k floppy, cause I have PC. It will be better to copy all the data to my SCSI hd and mount it to the Plus.
MacOS
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinobot wrote:
Can I run scsi mounter with floppies you mailed me?

I have no way to put a program on 800k floppy, cause I have PC. It will be better to copy all the data to my SCSI hd and mount it to the Plus.

Yes, the SCSI driver/mounter would need to be installed on the booting system disk.

But that does not make sure it will work. Often a transfer of old Mac data via a modern PC corrupts the "datafork" and the data can not be used on the old Mac. Its safer to load the apps from the internet directly to a Macintosh and transfer it only using Mac. But also it can be simply the SCSI technic inside your HD case or the HD that causes still problems.

The best thing i think would be a MacPlus external drive from the 1980s with installed software.
Dinobot

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MacOS"]
Dinobot wrote:

The best thing i think would be a MacPlus external drive from the 1980s with installed software.

YES, it will. But it will coast me a time of waiting. How much will it coast to mail it with 1st class?

Quote:
Its safer to load the apps from the internet directly to a Macintosh and transfer it only using Mac

HOW CAN I DO THIS? It will be awesome to find a way to share data with my Plus!

Now I got all the hardware (Small 50pin scsi HD, active terminator, controller, etc). But problem I still have is SOFTWARE. I can get it on the Internet, but I never can use it with Macintosh.

SO:
1. I can boot with floppy
2. My scsi bus is terminated. Looks like drive is configured properly, because spin starts and system boots
3. Drive is formatted HFS with my pc. But looks like it's wrong HFS (too fast for the Plus)
4. Apple SCSI HD utility can see only original Apple drives but no 3rd party brands.

Now I need just a SCSI probe utility to make sure my HD is configured ok and hfs formatting tool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apple and Mac 68k Forum Forum Index -> 68K Mac - E All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: